Phlegm in the throat that is hard to expel. Can it be esophageal cancer ?

My friend just got out of the hospital, he was being treated for pneumonia and asthma . His complaints include the feeling of being choked, phlegm in the throat that s hard to expel and he has to drink water so some phlegm will come out and whenever he has the choking feeling, he also gets dizzy and increased heartbeat. Together with this, he also has hoarse voice right now, and loss of smell. He is 27 years old. He did endoscopy and the doctor found that thick mucus in his throat developed. He then prescribed Omeprazole and a nasal spray for the nose. However my friend is not very confident with the ENT doctor s diagnosis. With the choking feeling, he feels something is wrong. My question is, with the feeling of being choked and just generally different feeling , is he at risk for esophageal cancer? He smoked before (non-consistent in college), and very rarely drink alcohol.
Asked On : Sat, 24 Sep 2011