Pharyngitis, sore throat, hoarseness in voice post eating chewing gum. Taken prescribed medicines, done regular gargling. Is chewing gum the cause?

Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from throat problems for quite some days. I had already consulted a local physician and he diagnosed the problem as Pharyngitis . I had told him that I noticed the problem occuring right after having a chewing-gum,but he totally dismissed the probability of a throat problem due to a chewing-gum.I have completed the course of the prescribed medicines and regularly gargling .In addition to this, I like singing a lot and sing myself at leisure. But I notice a slight disturbance in my throat after singing a song and sometimes it leads to soar throat after 1 or 2 days. I aspire to take up classical singing parallely with my studies and to get into a singing institution I am practising myself. My question is can chewing gum cause sore throat? and, Is my vocal chord becoming weak at 22 yrs of age? Please suggest.
Asked On : Tue, 13 Mar 2012