Personality and mood disorder from childhood, took medicines, conditions worsened. Recommendations?

Hello, I was just wondering if I were to go to my doctor could they evaluate me to see if I have a personality or mood disorder, or do I have call around to a specialist? When I was very young I was evaluated with depression but the doctor who said that I had depression said it could also be a personality or mood disorder but because of my age she just wanted to treat it as depression. I went through many different medications that only made my symptoms worse so I stopped going to her and stopped medication. I am now living in a warm state, it seems to help a little but I still struggle with issues and would just like to find out what for sure it is I have and treat accordingly. Thank you for your time and help.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

In your query you have not clearly mentioned that what symptoms you are having exactly. You have mentioned the diagnosis only. Still I would like to tell you that usually Psychiatrist don't label an individual to have some personality disorder in his/her teen years. Personality usually develop at around 18-22 years of age. Yes mood disorder like depressive disorder or bipolar disorder may present in teen years. Abnormal temperament may be a finding only. Still if the problems are causing distress to you and affecting your social and occupational functioning then please visit a Psychiatrist for expert evaluation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Psychiatrist Dr. Nehal Shah's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.
as you have not mentioned clearly about your symptoms, it s difficult to say what you have.
for the information, It is not possible to put personality disorder in the teen age as there may be a change in personality as you may grow older.
Mood symptoms may be part of traits of personality disorder or it may be an individual disorder.
You should consult qualified psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and proper management.
Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your effort to seek help. Like your doctor had rightly mentioned, mood instabilities in adolescents and young adults can often be due to personality disorders.

A detailed history and a psychological assessment (including personality tests) are required to arrive at a correct diagnosis. For this, I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist in your area in order to have a detailed evaluation. Further treatment will depend on the diagnosis, but there are effective options in the form of medication as well as pyschological therapies which can help you control your mood problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist

Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
I can understand your situation. I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

As per your details, you are possibly having underlying depression which is one of the mood disorder. For this consult a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management. Following treatment strategies would be helpful-

1) Antidepressants like SSRIs (escitalopram, sertarline, paroxetine etc)
2) Antianxiety agents like clonazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam etc
3) Psychotherapy/ Counselling sessions
4) Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, deep breathing etc

Hope it helps
Good luck
Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist

Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your given history in detail.
In your description you have failed to mention the current symptoms.
Personality disorder cannot be diagnosed until you are 18 yrs old. moreover personality disorder do present with mood like symptoms and can confuse a GP initially.
For differentiating a mood disorder and a personality disorder you should visit a specialist.
If your symptoms have been present this long and with out remission, it is more likely to be a personality disorder. The final diagnosis can only be made after a good mental state examination.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The differentiation / diagnosis can not be made by your GP or family doctor.
You have to see a qualified Psychiatrist.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck