Persisting tinnitus, extreme hypersensitivity to sounds. Done surgery for hearing implant. Guidance?

Approximately 1 year ago I had surgery for an Esteem hearing implant in my right ear. When the device was first activated my hearing sounded good but as I turned up the volume as directed over the next few weeks the sounds became unbearable and I started turning the device off whenever I was around any loud noises. At my follow up visit several months later it was determined I had scar tissue as a result of the surgery and they would get back with me at a later date after deciding what course of action to take. In the interim, my hearing in that ear became progressively more sensitive to sounds, so I continued turning it down or off. It was another several months before surgery was eventually scheduled during which it was determined to remove the implant and replace it with a titanium Kraus K- Helix Prosthetic device. At my follow up visit the doctor said everything was fine and he would not need to see me again even though I was complaining of pressure inside my ear. Then, approximately a week after seeing him (mid October) I developed ringing in my right ear which progressed to extreme pressure in both ears and also severe hypersensitivity to noises in my right ear. When I called the doctor who performed the surgery the only advice I received was to get a hearing aid . I next saw a local ENT (Nov 2 & Nov 27) who prescribed an antibiotic which helped for awhile but all the symptoms rapidly returned after finishing with them. He also prescribed ambian, Valium and mucinex along with a CAT scan (which didn t show anything). His hearing test showed I have extremely poor hearing but didn t help with a diagnosis. I m scheduled to see him again in 3 months. At the present time my symptoms are getting worse, I m a nervous wreck and I don t know where to turn. I ve accepted the fact there s no cure for tinnitus , but this extreme hypersensitivity to sounds is something that has made my life unbearable. I would much rather have total deafness in this ear than what I m experiencing now. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012