Persisting swelling, pain on the impacted area on the knee, X-ray inconclusive. Should I seek orthopedic help?

Hello. In November I was playing soccer and slid into a wooden post. I hit right below my knee on my tibia . After it happened I couldn t walk for a couple days without it feeling painful and stiff. It is still sore to touch and had a knot in the spot until last week. The knot is not there, but it is still swollen and painful to touch. I am able to walk on it, so I didn t think it was fractured. However I went to see a doctor yesterday who didn t take an X-Ray but he was confident I had fractured it. He seemed more concerned about my knee. I don t have insurance and do not want to get an MRI for a bruise . Is this something I should seek orthopedic help with or should I wait? How long to bruises typically take to heal? I can walk, but when I run it gets painful. The most pain I feel is when I touch it.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013