thanks for writing to us.,
the symptoms described by you point towards 'traveller's diarhoea".It is usually food and water borne.we call it faeco-oral transmission.
The causative microbe could be a protozoa/bacteria/virus. Bacteria such as E.Coli
,campylobacter,entamoeba,giardia lamblia.The incubation period
of 03 to 06 days.It is life threatening to diabetics/elderly and immunocompromised.Otherwise domiciliary treatment can cure the illness.
The treatment:- includes Rehydration with oral fluids/Antibiotics/Probiotics like lacobacillus/H2 receptor antagonists like ranitidine/Spasmolytics such as hyoscine butyl bromide.In severe dehydration
IV fluids are required.Electrolytes and Acid base balance has to be maintained.
Prevention;-(1)Personal Hygeine ,hand washing and proper tooth brushing.(2)Using water and food from a safe place only(3)Eat fruits and cooled drinks by Self peeling or unsealing in your presence only.(4)Avoid uncooked and unboiled vegitables and meat.Do not add ice to drinks as ice could have been made by using unboiled water.(5)Use only boiled milk or properly pasteurised milk only.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.,
Dr Lt Cdr ASN Bhushan,