Persisting knot with red patches above it weeks after hit on the ankle, swelling on anything tight around ankle, normal X-ray. Recovery time?

I fell against a wooden stool a month ago. The area above my right ankle immediately started bruising and swelling . After 4 weeks there is a large knot that remains very tender and bright red patches are now under the skin above the knot. Anything tight around my ankle causes swelling. X-ray said nothing was broken but want to know how long will it take the knot to go away?
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012