Persisting hot, red patch across the bruise due to injury, had applied neosporin. Treatment?

My son brushed up against a thorny vine while we were hiking. On one spot on his arm , he got a little scratch , which we kept clean and applied neurosporin every day,but now 4 days later he has a hot red patch about 2 inches wide around the scratch (which itself is healing , but the redness and heat is still there. How to treat?
Asked On : Fri, 25 May 2012
At this stage I would recommend a course of oral antibiotic (Consult your family doctor for the same).