Persisting fever after getting treated for tonsillitis. Pus formation with swelling on the tonsils. Secondary infection?

My 5yr old son has been on antibiotics for 7 days treating tonsilitis which got better within a day of starting antibiotics. He is still on the antibiotics (this is day 7) but today the fever has come back and he has the same symptoms as he did last Friday when the tonsilitis began. I looked at his tonsils and they seem to be swollen and still have pus on them. He wont eat or drink anything and just wants to sleep. Could it be that he needs a different type of antibiotic or a secondary infection has occurred? Should I take him back to the doctor and if so how soon? Thank you for your help.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013