Persisting dissoluble stitches, deep cut on chin, stitches protruding out. When will they come off?

Hi my 6 yr old son suffered a nasty cut on his chin . He was taken to ER and had about 10 dissolvable stitches to close the laceration. I was advised that the stitches would dissolve on its own, but 17 days later, the stitches look more obvious than ever. It has started protruding out like white stray hairs and my poor son gets teased at school for starting to grow a white beard. My concern is why hasn t the stitches dissolved and would it actually loosen and come undone before dropping off? And how long would it take? Thanks, Sheila.
Asked On : Fri, 18 May 2012
Thanks for writing in.

Dissolvable stitches are often used for oral surgery and injuries of the face as in you child. They are used so the patient can recover at home and will not have to go back to the oral surgeon to get the stitches removed. While recovering, the patient should apply warm saline water around five times a day. This will help reduce inflammation which causes discomfort and help the stitches dissolve in time. You can still follow this to make the stitches fall off. If there is pain and redness, you should contact your doctor to rule out infection.

Hope this helps