Persisting cold, cough, dry throat. Need help

Hi, I m Lawrence and I live in Manhattan, New York. I realized that I ve had this cold for about 2-3 weeks now. I m not sure what this means exactly. I have a bad cough , my throat often feels dry, and I am constantly coughing up a lot of flem/ mucus . Whatever you are able to tell me about this condition would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Jul 2012
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A cough related to viral infection can last up to 6 weeks in some persons.

Since the cough is a productive cough, you may want to consider the use of a mucolytic to help break up the mucus. Examples are bisolvin, acetylsteine, carbocysteine, guiafenesin.

There are other causes, other than colds for productive coughs such as sinusitis. If you have a history of sinus problems , you may want to consider the use of a topical steroid nasal spray and an antihistamine.

I hope this helps