Persistent swelling on the top of the ankle after treatment for avulsion fracture and sprained ankle. Is it due to ligaments?

Hi - I fell and sprained my ankle and received an avulsion fracture 5 weeks ago. Went to a urgent care that put me in a splint . Two days later I went to a podiatrist who took his own x rays. Said I have avulsion fracture and sprained ankle . Put me in an aircast, used crutches for 4 weeks now I can walk on it with a cane. Still having swelling and on the top of my ankle seems to swell more. Could that be the ligaments. He is planning on putting me in a ankle brace at a little over 6 weeks. Thank you
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jun 2012