Persistent swelling in toe post foot surgery. Is there any remedy?

I had foot surgery on my second toe which was developing into a hammer toe due to a break that did not heal properly. The doctor placed a pin in this toe to straighten it on October 24th. Today after 3 trips to visit him and numerous xrays, it is still swollen. Before Xmas one of the internal stitches worked its way to the top and my primary care physician was worried it was infected. After lab tests determined it was not infected, the podiatrist informed me that I was having a reaction to the internal stitches and to come back on Feb. 21st. Is there anything I can do to diminsh the swelling? I have exactly one pair of old boots, running shoes and my hiking boots that I can wear and am tired of not being able to run! Any suggestions are apperciated!! Thanks!
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013