Persistent swelling in ankles and legs with intense pain, taking plenty water, not overweight and very active and healthy lifestyle. What is the cause?

Hi, The last couple of days I have been having swelling in my ankles and legs. It is painful at times and I have to put my legs up. I drink lots and lots of water and I am not overweight or pregnant. I am reasonably active, I watch my salt consumption, and I am a 43 year old female. I have had swollen ankles and legs before, but drinking lots of water usually helps. Within the last couple of years I have had some heart palpitations and at times a wierd feeling in my heart. Usually palpitations only come when I am stressed or nervous. As a child, I was diagnosed with WPW . It caused no problems for me and doctors told me I had outgrown it because they didn t hear a murmur. What do you think my problem could be? I feel and look pretty healthy. I take no medications , have minimal alcohol consumption and don t smoke or do drugs.
Asked On : Mon, 2 Jul 2012