Persistent sloughing of vaginal epithelium, no pain or itching. History of hysterectomy, intermittent BV. Cause?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2000, but have ovaries, so not hormone therapy required. I have a history of BV on and off over the years. I am 47 now. I have persistent sloughing of the vaginal epithelium , obvious tissue shedding. There is no pain, itch, odor or swelling involved. What may be the cause? Currently I am not using Metro-gel, nor have I within the past year, so still wondering why the persistent sloughing.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013