Persistent knot in the upper arm at the site of tourniquet post surgery, numbness and tingling in arm, advised surgery. What could be the cause of knot?

I had a surgery in Sept 2011 on my hand . After the surgery, there is a knot in my upper arm where the turnicate was. I mentioned it to my surgeon in the months after surgery. He said it was just from the turnicate and would go away. At my last visit in March, when he realized it was still there, he said if it was not gone in 2 weeks to come back since it could be serious. I am now experiencing numbness and tingling in that arm. My surgeon said the solution would be surgery which I really want to avoid, but I also don t want to overlook the problem if it s serious. What could the knot be and is it potentially dangerous?
Asked On : Tue, 1 May 2012