Persistent dull pain in right side of face. Is this normal ?

I am 54yrs old and have been a Type 2 diabetic for about 15 years. I have been having persistent dull pain in right side of face (from ear to chin) for the past few months. When it started there was discomfort and fluid sensations in my right ear I have consulted an ENT specialist and dentist and they have requested and examined CT scans (Neck Petrous Temporal Bones soft tissues and OPG). Except for a the right parotid salivary gland being slightly larger than the left parotid salivary gland there was no other abnormality observed in the scans and OPG. The ENT specialist could thus not ascertain the cause of the pain on the side of the face and said that it could be neuralgia pain. He suggested a dose of a drug called gabapentin which if gives relief may support confirm a neurapathic pain diagnosis. In the past few weeks I also have developed a muscular pain in my right shoulder with some restriction of mobility of my right arm/hand due to the pain. I would like a medical opinion on what these pains are likely to be caused by given my medical history . Also I understand trigeminal neuralgia is symptomised by shooting pains. Since I do not have shooting pains (only a dull pain (accentuated occasionally) when eating, does it mean that that the face pain is most likely not due to trigeminal neuralgia ?
Asked On : Sun, 16 Jan 2011