Persistent dry cough followed by chest pain. Took Dipropos. X-ray, AFB, HIV test came normal. What is it?

Hello Dr.Samuel,
My mother has had this persistent dry cough which began in August last year whenever she senses any smell including the mildest ones.She has been on so many medications such cough syrups and antihistamines but once she finishes the dosage everything came back,This year february the doctor prescribed for her diprofos injection.There was great improvement but then when it came out it was more productive than before.Did for her Sputum tests for AFBs,HIV test and even chest Xray and all revealed Neg and normal.Now sometimes she says whenever she coughs she gets chest pains.Please advice.Thank you
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013