Persistent cough. History of lung cancer. Have nodules in lung. Caused by smoke in walls?

I moved into the apartment I live in now about 3 yrs. ago. About the same time I developed a cough which was very persistent. The tenant who lived here before me smoked like a trouper one cigarette after another I was tolled. My apartment was painted and new carpet. But not to long after I moved here I could see the smoke coming through the paint. Last October 2011 we found out that I had lung cancer and they removed half of my left lung. I was declared cancer free. Recently they found nodgels in both my left and right lung. Could the smoke that is hidden in the walls have anything to do with it?
Asked On : Tue, 25 Dec 2012