Persistent canker sore since a month, growing tonsil tissue, severe discomfort. Should I be worried?

Went to doctor today because I noticed a canker sore looking thing close to my right tonsil , but in my mouth. I noticed that it has been present for the past month. He noticed that my tonsil tissue had grown kind of up on to the side of my tongue . When he felt it he noticed that it was slightly hard. I ve been having slight discomfort on the right side of my throat for about a year and a half now. I ve asked doctors about it before, but since i m 22 and in good health, they usually say im fine and send me on my way. This doctor advised that i go to an ear nose throat specialist to get a sample taken from the tonsil growth so i can be looked at under a microscope. I m really nervous and I guess i just wanted to get an opinion. Should I be worried?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013