Peripheral vision strobe light, flickers, strange feeling. Glaucoma?

The basic symptom occurs in my peripheral vision. The best way to describe it is a "strobe light" kind of effect, with what I see in the periphery seeming to "flicker" in a fairly indescribable way. For example, I could be reading a book, and see the words fine, but the periphery around what I'm seeing appears to somehow seem "weird" as if it were a strobe just like the other guy that posted a simular problem. i'm 41 yrs old and don't have the money to see a specialist or insurance. i've been seeing a strobe light in my periphial vision off and on for about 20 years, i've covered one eye and then the other when it's happened and it's in both sides. i always wondered if it had anything to do with glaucoma, i hear that skips a generation and my grandmother on my mothers side has it. thanks for any help/advice you can give!!
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013