Periods started late, heavy bleeding, abdominal pain. What is going on?

So, my period was a couple of days late and really weird. My periods are usually really regular so this freaked me out a bit and I had a little pregnancy scare. But then, my period came late and it was more heavy than usual. There was so much blood it was ridiculous and has lasted for over a week, and my periods are only 4 days long. It had lightened up a little bit after the first couple of days as usual but then the day it was supposed to end it got really heavy. And then, I had the worst pain on my right lower abdomen which I thought was my appendix because it felt like I was going to explode and that went on for 3 days and turned out not being my appendix. What is going onn?
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012
Here are a few possibilities. Firstly, the delay in your cycle could be due to some transient hormone imbalance or an unidentified pregnancy. If it was a pregnancy, you could detect it through a blood test as urine test is of no avail now. if not, the heavy flow is usual for a delayed period. Secondly, the pain could be due to either a tubal spasm or a ruptured ovarian cyst as often happens during a period owing to increased perfusion. While tubal spasm can be relieved with anti-spasmodics, ruptured cyst needs management based on the extent. A sonogram often helps. Take care.