Periods irregular. Have grey and dark brown discharge. Pain in lower abdomen. HPT negative. Recommendations?

Hi there,

I have been experiencing gray and dark brown discharge for the past 6 weeks. Tonight the discharge was almost black and stringy. I have had one regular period since having my son 6 and a half months ago. I have now missed 2 periods since. The past few days I have been experiencing a sharp pain in my lower abdomen (around where I suspect my ovary is). Sex has been uncomfortable due to the abdomonal pain. I took a pregnancy test 3 weeks ago and it was negative. Could I have tested too soon? Is it something completely different than pregnancy?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013