Period very heavy, lining of uterus thick. Is it worth worrying?

I am 43 and I have been on my period since 1/8/2013 (today is 1/24). I have had some issues with my period being extremely heavy so my family doctor sent me to have an ultrasound in Nov 2012. This was performed 2 days after my period had ended. It came back that the lining of my uterius was thick and that if I had any further issues to see a gynocologist (going 1/31). Should I be worried? What could the prolong bleeding be a sign of?
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013