Period overdue. Pregnancy test negative, but had intense pain with bleeding. Why is it so?

Hi I was 8 days over due on my period and thought I was pregnant but was testing negative on a home pregnancy kit. This morning I started suffering with what I would describe the worst period pain I've ever had and started to bleed. I initially thought it was a very late period however the cramps have stopped and after examination the blood was a brownish colour not red and that has now stopped. What is this?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013