Period lasts shorter than usual, has brown discharge. What can I do?

Hi, my name is Alexsandra and Iam 20 years old.....My question is regarding my menstrual cycle, I m a very active person so I always thought that because of working out so much my menstrual cycle would be all out of wack. Sometimes my period lasted 3 days or 4 days max. A couple months ago after I began taking vitamins my periods were coming regularly and lasted 4 days. This month it only lasted 2 days following with a brown discharge but I have discomfort on the right side of my vagina . Even before my period I get sharp pains on the right side, they don t last long but it scares me. Should I go get checked out or what it might be? Iam also sexually active with my boyfriend.
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Hi Alexandra, welcome to Healthcare Magic forum. If periods are regular, a day or two more or less is not a major issue. But if you have pain on the right lower abdomen or pelvic area you need to see a surgeon or gynaec immediately to rule out appendicitis. It may even be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy, or abortion,as pregnancy maybe associated with scanty flow. You need urgent ultrasosngraphy and other investigations. Do consult a doctor as soon as possible.