Pelvic pain, cystic ovaries, had tubal litigation. Take birth control?

For over a year I have had incresing right sided pelvic pain . I went to a GYN finally because has become unbearable. I was advised I have a 1.5 cm cyst on my right ovary . Previous medical: I had a tubal ligation in 2006. I have always had normal periods, four normal pregnancies and deliveries. The GYN told me I should take birth control to alleviate the symtoms along with the pain. I requested a hormone level test and he said that it is not relevant. Can you clarify?
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013