Peeling skin on toe. Red itchy spots appears around toe nail, Having burning sensation. Not cured by creams. What could it be?

Hi,the skin on the bottom of my big right toe started peeling off about 3years ago. It seems every day after my shower there is more dead skin on my toe,which i used to file down.Then I had some red very itchy spots appear on my toe and around my nail. Spots come and go but my toe looks inflamed and red all the time and sometimes the skin hurts as in a burning sensation. Had this for about 3 years but it s getting worse. Tried few creams from the doctor but nothing worked. What could it be? Thanx
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012