Pea-sized hard lump at the base of skull, top of neck, no pain, occasional dizziness. What could this be?

My 15 year old son just noticed he has a pea sized, very hard, lump at the base of his skull , very top of his neck . Whether he bows his head or looks upward, it s still very present. I cannot move it around. I thought maybe a bone spur? It doesn t hurt he says. He just feels alittle dizzy sometimes. I am going to have this checked out, but I am concerned because my Aunt passed away from a similar symptomed tumor . I know you can t give answers, I am just a concerned mother, also Nurse. I have never seen a lump this hard that you cannot move. My Aunt had a tumor form in the same area but was a little softer and you could move it slightly. This just feels like a bone spur
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
think to be fusion of bones cervical with base of skull
in some children this is from birth
but better to o for exact diagnosis in myopinion