Paralysed wrist after cerebral hemorrhage. Treatment? Done physiotherapy

my wife had a cereberal haemorrage one year back her right hand and right leg were paralised i was giving her phisiotherapy till date her leg has improved and started walking reasonably well regarding right hand the elbow and shoulder have slight movements the concern is regarding the wrist which is fully paralysed. please advice me the treatments that can be given and the equipments that has to be used
Asked On : Tue, 27 Nov 2012
Hi there,

Firstly, whenever paralytic stroke takes place, either due to brain hemorrhage or disruption of blood supply to a part of the brain, damage to the central region of the affected part is irreversible, while the peripheral part is partially salvageable. Hence, the parts of the body, represented by the peripheral area of the lesion, recover to a variable extent.

In your wife's case, the right arm has been affected more than the lower limb. Further, destruction of the nerves and brain are irreversible. Therefore, physiotherapy will help only to variable extent. Simple, regular use of hand springs or even a rubber ball compression will improve the power in the fingers and grip. Chances of improvement of wrist drop are however, remote.

Lastly, there are NO drugs to improve the wrist weakness.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” rating to my answer, to encourage all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal