Panic attacks, avoids social situations, irritable and anxious of visiting doctors, shaking feet, vigourous rubbing of hands. Histroy of admission in mental hospital. Curable?

Hi, My dad is 60 years old and his "Nerves are Bad", or at least thats what he calls it. When he was a teenager he was put into a mental hospital because of his panic attacks. They treated him poorly and gave him a very powerful medication that had unwelcome side effects and did not help. Because of this he refuses to see a doctor. He has been on social security/disability ever since and has not been able to hold a job my entire life. My father avoids most social situations and any situation where he may have to speak to someone and answer questions, in fact, I must be careful speaking with him, because even discussing the possibility of a job interview or a doctors visit can trigger a panic attack. He even gets incredibly irritable, nervous, anxious and angry if a stranger like a tax consultant or insurance broker or someone will be coming to the house later. I have noticed that when forced to be social, a few beers is all it takes for him to act pretty much normal. He is still a bit shy, but no panic attacks, and he will even tell jokes and perhaps even make friends. This tells me that the condition must be treatable (although obviously not with alcohol). Other symptoms include shaking his feet a lot and vigorously rubbing his hands together. He also would spend a lot of time pacing around the house drinking coffee. Now that he is getting older I am extra worried about his health since he is afraid to see a doctor so I am looking for somewhere to turn. Do you have any advice?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013