Painless lump below knee joint, occasional pain in leg and foot. Related to lump?

I have a painless lump or swelling about 4 cms across just below my right knee joint . I first noticed it in the summer & it has got larger. It never hurts but I am getting odd pains in my right foot & upper leg. Could they be related to the lump & what do you think it could be? My doctor is sending me for a scan but have been waiting ages. I did have a fall about 18 months ago & banged my knee so it could be scar tissue I suppose.
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013