Painful swelling at the base of tongue post lower teeth extraction, no improvement with amoxicillin. Recovery time?

i had four lower teeth pulled, and am now experiencing painful swelling at the base of my tongue . my dentist prescribed amoxicillin , five hundred mgs, and have been taking two pills twice a day, this being my third day. swelling still persists, but have noticed i have been spitting out thick saliva alot. How long does it take to reduce swelling? very uncomfortable and hard to talk.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013