Painful swelling and bumps in the vagina. Herpes diagnosed. Could it be something else?

Hello, I went to the emergency room Thursday because I had very painful swelling and bumps in and on my vaginal area. The nurse practitioner said it was herpes . I shave in all directions and I remembered I used shaving creme for the first time down there that day. The bumps look like alot of ingrown hairs and the swelling is awful. It is also very painful to urinate I think because I probably have a bump by the hole. Can it be mistaken for something else because I am still a virgin but the nurse practitioner believed I was lieing.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013