Painful pulling sensation along the top of foot around toes. History of mid foot fracture. What do you think ?

I was playing with my son this afternoon and feel on my foot we were jumping around my toes were curled under Initially the pain was moderate for about 5 minutes and I felt like a pulling sensation as well all along the top of my foot around toes . There is no bruising or swelling and I can walk but still experience some pain when walking down stairs around the big toe area I can flex it with mild pain when flexing the big toe up and mild to moderate pain when pushing on the side of the big toe. I broke this same foot a few years back with a mid foot fracture at the big toe I think I had to have screw placd and was later removed don t know if that helps my question is what do you think as I do not have insurance and DO NOT want to go to the dr and spend money I don t have if I can avoid itand I only have mild pain around the toe when applying moderate preassure thanks for your help
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

I feel that you could have suffered a ligament sprain. This is generally self limiting and will heal spontaneously within 1-2 weeks with the following measures -

* Rest to the injured part and don't involve in activities that causes pain
* Ice packing over the affected area once in 2 hours
* Compression bandage around the swollen area
* Elevation of the foot end
* analgesic antiinflammatory medicines as needed.

If your symptoms are not improving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day