Painful ovarian cyst growing at a pregnancy speed. Had womb removal. What cyst is this?

hi my mum is 54 years old and was told she had an overian cyst but its growing at the same speed as a preganancy would, shes hugh now and looks like shes ready to give birth, she had her womb out years ago, the hospital keep putting off her operation, shes in pain walking etc, what kind of cyst would grow at this speed??
Asked On : Wed, 27 Jun 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

I can completely understand the issue.
It is either a serous cystadenoma [ a non cancerous tumor] or an ovarian cancer [cystadenocarcinoma].

The latter is more likely considering the age and rapid growth. Please get her CA 125 tested. This is raised in cases with cancer.

I also suggest that you see another doctor if possible as if it is a cancer it may need urgent surgery.

All my best wishes are with you. Take care.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist