Painful, minor cuts on the hand due to rusty metal piece, no bleeding. Treatment required?

i have a minor cut its small on my right hand its not bleeding at all but painful i got the cut on a rusty peice metal on the bottom of the broom stick should i be worried
Asked On : Sat, 24 Mar 2012

I completely understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same.

You seem to have developed an injury to skin due to metal pieces.

First of all, you might need a tetanus booster if you have not been vaccinated in the last 5 years.

Clean the affected area with lukewarm saline water.
Apply a topical antibiotic cream twice a day.
You may need oral antibiotics if the infection persists or increases.

For that, you should see s nearby physician.

Hope it helps
Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paul
MD( Dermatology)