Painful lump on the back of shoulder/neck, unable to raise arm. Tried Motrin, cold compress, heating pad. What could this be ?

I am a 36yr old male. I am in considerably good health, however for about 6 months I have had a lump on the back of my shoulder/ neck . It s painful and hard. It hasn t gotten absolutely painful and today I was unable to raise my arm or turn my head. I ve taken Motrin and used a cold compress and heating pad . What could this be all about. I m a Vet and if no relief by morning my wife is insisting I go to the ER. Any advice on what this could be about?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013