Painful lump inside foot, hard, rough. What are the ways to cure it?

I have a painful lump on the inside of my right foot. It is about 3cm from my ankle bone, (between my big toe and my ankle bone). It is about 2cm above the arch of my foot. It is very hard; roughly the size of a 5p piece. It actually feels like it is growing on a bone (but may not be). It is very painful at times. If I stand and look down at it it sticks out from my foot approximately 1cm and is the shape of a little mountain! Any ideas?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Hi, you have given an idea of the location and size. To give a better opinion I need to know it's appearance, shape, size, margins, mobility, feel, presence and absence of fluctuation, duration, progression, how and when it appeared, when exactly does it pain and what aggravates the pain. Also important is your personal medical history etc. All that said -
Painful lumps could be due to an inflamed underlying joints, growth in the tissues components of the area - which are skin, fat, nerve, muscle and bone. May be a neuroma, may be an insect bite - difficult to say. If rapidly progressing consult a doctor immediately