Painful lump in groin, sensitive to touch

I have a very painful lump in my groin area. It started as a very small lump and has grown over the last 24 hrs. It is very sensitive to touch and causing me slot of pain,can you tell me what it might be.
Asked On : Tue, 20 Mar 2012
Hi

Thanks for your query

Seems like you have developed folliculitis in the groin.

Now firstly I would advise you to keep the area clean and dry as much as possible.
Do not apply any kind of moisturizing creams/lotions or oil over the affected area.
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease the amount of sweating.
Clean the area with lukewarm water twice a day and apply an antibiotic cream like mupirocin gel over the area twice daily.

If inspite of the above measures, the lesion persists or continues to increase in size, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics along with pain killers.

In that case, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist for proper assessment and treatment.

Hope it helps
Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paul
MD (Dermatology)

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.