Painful knot on the lower leg, swelling in the ankle. Getting bigger in size. Ultrasound shows they are related. What is your opinion?

I have a knot in the back of my lower leg that is very sore. I also have swelling in my ankle that gets worse as the day goes on but goes down during sleep. The knot has been the for nearly a year but recently seems bigger. I had an ultra sound done by a family doctor and he thinks the knot in the leg any the swelling in ankle are related. Can you give me any additional info on this.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013