Painful, itchy, multiple colored bruises on the thigh, pores in bruises with dark purple. What could have caused this?

Hello, I have a question regarding itching for no apparent reason followed by unusual bruising. I have noticed lately that I have been getting tiny finger print size bruises on my thighs quite often in the last few months. Then, in the last week, I started feeling itchy all over with no hives or any other apparent reason ... but the itchiness was primarily focused on my thighs. Last night as I was tossing and turning in bed I noticed my thigh hurt terribly like I suddenly had a large bruise or something. I went into the restroom and noticed a very large unusual bruise of different colors. And, if you pull the skin a bit and look closer you can see that the pores within the bruises are a very dark purple. I dare say this bruise has an unusual shape, is quite large, and has multiple different colors or shades to this. Do you know what may have caused this as my thigh now hurts terribly?
Asked On : Mon, 2 Jul 2012