Painful growth on the side of foot on top of protruding bone. What could it be?

Dear Dr. Samuel, My name is Anne, and I have a slightly painful growth which is at the side of my left foot on top of the protruding bone we all have that is visible from birth, It has been there for about four months now and seems to be getting bigger and more painful. My Doctor has dismissed this as being nothing but I am not so sure, could you please tell me what you this could be? Thank you so much for any help you can give me. Best Regards, Anne.
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Hi thanks for the query,
The first thing about the swelling it is from birth and the second one is it is gradually progressing in size and getting painful . Since the swelling is getting bigger and painful I advice you to contact a orthopedician and get x ray of foot. Any swelling which is growing in size and painful should be evaluated and get treated.