Painful ear infection. Hearing impacted with puss. Can I put cotton ball in outer ear?

my son just started antibiotics for a ear infection a day and a half ago, this is a re-treatment. The original infection we thought had cleared up, only to be going through the same again, but more painful. This morning my son woke up with a wet ear.. There is a lot of pus coming from the ear canal to outside. His hearing was impacted yesterday and is talking loud, his entire ear hurts, and behind it. I ve cleaned it up, but can I put a cotton ball in the outer ear? and should I take him back to the doctor ?
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012