Painful cramps, blood bright red discharge. What is wrong?

Hi, I am currently on my period. I had an extremely painful cramp that lasted about a minute. After the cramp my period blood was bright red. This is unusual for me because its only bright red during the beginning of my period, I m on the fourth day. Also there was an excessive amount of blood. Could something be wrong?
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013
May 2013
Excessive blood flow with pain full cramps in periods can be seen in conditions like:
- Structural causes like fibroids, polyps, adenomyosis etc.
-Sometimes endometriosis also by increasing the local blood flow can lead to this condition.
-If there is any possibility of pregnancy, once rule out the possibility of miscarriage.
-Usage of intra uterine contraceptive devices etc.
If the pain and bleeding persists, once consult gynecologist and get examined.
If she recommends go for ultrasound.
Possibly with this workup the cause for your problem can be identified and treated.