Painful bumps on nipples, pulsing pain in those areas. Should I be concerned ?

Within the last week I have noticed 2 bumps on my nipple . The bumps are painful and it feels like there is a large amount of pressure in them. I first I thought it was a pimple , but it does not pop. I also feel a pulsing pain randomly throughout the day in those two areas. The bumps are relatively large, they take up about 15-20% of my nipple. Should I be concerned or is this something normal in a growing process, I am only 17.
Asked On : Thu, 15 Nov 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
You have mentioned that you have two swellings on the nipple, with pressure feeling and pulsating pain in them.
Pulsating pain is associated with abscess.
An abscess is collection of pus resulting from bacterial infection.
Drainage of pus and oral antibiotics are treament of choice.
Swellings can also be subjected to fine needle aspiration cytology however, it may not be possible in painful situation.

However, examintion is required for correct diagnosis.
Consult your doctor at the earliest.

Thank you
Dr Shailja P Wahal