Painful and bulky shoulders and neck with mild stabbing sensation. Is it due to stress?

I have been dealing with this issue for years now. It was worst before but is now alittle better. My shoulder/ neck area has strangely gotten bulky and painful over the years and would occasionally get a sharp pain as if A mild stabbing sensation. I m not sure if it was due to stress , bra straps. I now hate wearing anything that shows of that area because I look like I m a body builder. How can I reduce the pain get rid of the bulk? Surgery?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013