Pain,discomfort in hands, muscle spasms, irregular happenings. What could this be?

My husband is having pain and discomfort in both of his hands. It starts all of the sudden and is painful. The only thing that he can do to make the pain go away is to try and flex his hands. When the pain does finally go away, he has muscle spasms. It does get worse with hot or cold weather. When the pain hits, he says it is very sharp and then dulls. It does not matter if he is using his hands alot or not, it happens. It doesn t happen every day or at the same time. He can go a week, or a couple weeks with out it happening. We are unsure what it could be
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
is he a smoker. It can cause such sensation called parasthesia. I would also suggest you to get your serum B 12 estimation as lack of vitamin B12 causes tingling and numbness and burning in feet. I would also suggest you to get vitamin D estimation and serum calcium level. Till that time you finished with all those investigation i would recommend you to take Pregabalin M tablet.