Pain, swelling which causes an indentation on pushing. Had a fall in the apst causing knee injury. What could this mean?

my granny is 88 years old. She fell about 3 years ago and hurt her left knee . it swelled up for a few days and hurt but not to much that she couldnt walk or any thing. it off and on will give her some problems but just in the last few weeks she has complained about it hurting, it is swollen a little and when i push down on it it leaves an indentation that stays for a long time. what could this mean?
Asked On : Fri, 13 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would suggest you to get x ray of the knee joint. It looks to me that she might be having knee arthritis and will need following.
1. Painkillers like brufen
2. Calcium and vitamin d
3. Diclofenac ointment
4. Static quadriceps exercise
5. Avoid squatting and sitting cross-legged.