Pain, swelling in metatarsal bones, small piece of bone detected in x-ray. Healing time?

I began having pain in the right metatarsal area about 7 days ago. After 4 days it was fairly swollen and I decided to get it xrayed. The xray did not show a stress fracture (which is what I thought it was) but there is a small piece of bone that has broken off and the GP that looked at the xray said that he was not sure if it was something new of it it was something from when I broke by foot 25 years ago. He was going to forward the xray to an ortho dr. and let me know what they said and in the meantime I am wearing a boot. So, my question is: How long will it take for this to heal (or at least quit hurting)? Should I pursue this any further than I already have? I did read that some fractures will not show up on regular xrays but show up on MRIs? In case you need to know, I am a 44 year old female.
Asked On : Sat, 10 Nov 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  35 Awaiting Answer